Are you looking to try out a fad diet for the new year? Alec and Tyler are here to breakdown the pro’s and con’s of 4 of the most popular diets. IIFYM, Keto, Whole30, & the Paleo diet.
► All Access 7-Day Free Trial:
► 2019 All-Access Challenge:
► Shop Bodybuilding Signature Supplements:
► Bodybuilding.com Apparel:
► Prove Us Wrong, if you spot any errors email them to: Brain.Gainz@bodybuilding.com
Don’t forget, this is an open format show meaning if you have a question about something we say or talk about feel free to post it in chat. If you missed us live, send us an email at Brain.Gainz@bodybuilding.com
| Fad Diets |
IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros)/Flexible Dieting:
• Counting and tracking of calories and macronutrients. Utilizing various percentages of protein, carbohydrates, and fats to reach a calorie goal. An example breakdown is a 30% protein, 50% carbohydrate, and 20% fat breakdown. Depending upon your fitness goal (fat loss, muscle gain, maintenance, etc.) you will either increase or decrease the three macronutrients.
• Tracking 101 – Utilize an App like MyFitness Pal to track your food and macros.
• Calories 101 – Protein (1g=4 calories), Carbohydrates (1g=4 calories), Fat (1g=9 calories)
• Focused on consuming a high fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate diet, with the intentions of converting the body’s energy system from glucose to ketones.
• Keto transition – cut carbs drastically (less than 50g/day) and utilizing “keto supplements” (BHB and/or MCT Oil products). Confirming “ketosis” via urine strips is recommended, but not required.
• Typical macronutrient breakdown: 60-75% fat, 15-30% protein, 5-10% carbohydrate
• Directly from the Whole30 rules: “Eat moderate portions of meat, seafood, and eggs; lots of vegetables; some fruit; plenty of natural fats; and herbs, spices, and seasonings. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re whole and unprocessed.”
• 30 day challenge
• No sugar (real or artificial), alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, baked goods, junk food, etc.
• No weighing or taking measurements of yourself for 30 days.
• “If a caveman didn’t eat it, neither should you.”
• Focus on whole foods and avoid processed foods.
• Focus on: Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, healthy fats and oils.
• Avoid: Processed foods, sugar, soft drinks, grains, most dairy products, legumes, artificial sweeteners, vegetable oils, margarine and trans fats.
| News + Stories |
► Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends for 2019:
► Caffeine Supplementation in Combat Sports:
| Deals |
► JYM Supplement Science:
► Optimum Nutrition:
► Kaged Muscle:
| New Products |
► EVL L-Citrulline:
► Signature Probiotic:
► Sparta Nutrition Whey Protein:
► Sparta Nutrition Kraken Pre:
► Sparta Nutrition Keto Coffee:
| Brain Gainz Hosts |
Alec Heersink – Senior Specialist, Regulatory Compliance
• Product Testing Specialist
• Active Bodybuilding Competitor
Tyler McGlasson, MK – Senior Specialist, Regulatory Compliance & Science
• Compliance and Science
• Claim Substantiation
• Ingredient Research